[plug] DHCP question

Steve Baker bakes at corona.iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 6 06:57:08 WST 1999

Greetings,

I am setting up a Linux server for a small business, and want to use DHCP.
It basically works, but I get 'network unreachable' messages logged by
dhcpd when the system has no default gateway.

If I add a default route on the eth0 interface, it works, but I don't want
to do that because when I configure the internet link then ppp0 will
become the interface for the default route, and I don't think my ISP will
be interested in dhcp messages for my local net.  The only routes I had in
there originally were 192.168.200.0 and loopback.

So the basic question is - do I need a special route for the dhcp reply
messages?  It sees the request messages from the clients without any
problems, but cannot reply without extra routing information.  I didn't
see anything in the dhcpd and dhcpd.conf man pages (although they were a
little long and I could have missed it).

Thanks.

Steve
Steve Baker,  aka  bakes at corona.iinet.net.au
Open your mind, then check out http://www.peg.apc.org/~nexus
No-one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be -- Jimmy Barnes