[plug] question about file types

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Thu Jan 7 00:03:57 WST 1999

Thanks everybody!  You guys are an amazing database.
Really appreciate the help!

Tamara

>>> Nick Bannon <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> 01/05 8:29 PM >>>
I highly recommend using less rather than more - it's one of the first
things I install. It can take default options from an environment
variable (I use "-adeiMs -j5") and it's often used with a "lesspipe"
script which can do things like automagically uncompress files.

A handy trick is "less -S" for quickly skimming through a binary file
- it chops off long lines at the screen width, which cuts down large
unintelligible chunks of data without being quite so reductionist as
"strings". Try "less -fS /dev/hda".

There's also "most", but that's just being silly. <grin>

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 10:45:47AM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
[...]
> If my terminal's stuffed I usually type (in this order:)
>
> stty sane
> echo <control-V><control-O>
> echo <control-V><ESC> c
[...]

That last one should do a complete reset of the terminal state. On a
real VT100, it also looks quite funky (pretty much equivalent to being
power cycled).

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal