[plug] plug membership / printer query

David J Dartnall darts at perth.dialix.oz.au
Thu Jan 7 10:35:35 WST 1999

I've received about four months' worth of  information, (some of which
has been related to linux!), since subscribing to plug.. - it's probably
about time a membership fee was paid. Please let me know

Perhaps someone could advise the whether drivers are available for an
Epson 740 inkjet which I'm thinking of buying. Epson Australia say that
they don't supply drivers for other than Windows, NT or Mac. They say,
however that it will run under dos (not a Windows-only printer).

I'm running SuSE 5.3 and currently have a Brother HJ400 printer and am
having difficulty integrating
this - it will accept "cp <text.file> /dev/lp0"  but produces garbage
otherwise. Hence before laying out cash on a more expensive printer, I
need to be sure it'll work.

Setting up printers for Linux seems to be an obscure art? Most of the
books and manuals I've bought avoid the issue, and the HOWTO series
appear to be out of date - I guess with the large range of printers on
the market it's pretty difficult to keep up.

regards & new year wishes to all pluggers.

Dave Dartnall