[plug] Computer bank

Garry Moir garry.moir at mcb.wa.gov.au
Thu Jan 7 16:38:04 WST 1999

It is really good to see so much excitement generated about the possibility
of helping others, but lets not forget first principles relating to
starting a busines venture.

We need to do our market research and determine the demand for services
that we can offer, before we decide what to offer and how.

Given that Plugians probably have neither the time, nor the expertise to do
this unaided, I suggest that we work in conjunction with one or more of the
charitable organisations that deal with the less fortunate members of our
community. Groups such as The Salvos, St Vincent de Paul, Anglicare etc.
They have a much better network amongst the people we wish to contact than
we could hope to have, so I suggest we make contact with them to determine
both the interest and maybe get some guidance on the best ways to proceed.

Another point to consider is that whilst we may all think that offering
training is a great idea; Who will be available to do it? It will require a
constant effort, otherwise little will be acheived. It is no good having
heaps of people excited and eager to learn if we are unable to muster the
manpower to train them. This is not something that we can just have a bit
of a dabble at and then walk away from if it gets too hard.

I question the logic of offering Linux to new users. Linux is not yet a
user friendly desktop OS, because it still requires command line tinkering
and that in turn requires a reasonable understanding of what's under the
hood of a PC. If we are aiming at new users, then I vote that we give them
MacIntoshs. On the other hand if we are aiming at more advanced users, then
to what extent are we duplicating and competing with the established
training industry?

These comments are not aimed at knocking the ideas raised so far, but to
try to focus our attention on what is the exact purpose that we are aiming
to achieve?

Garry Moir
Systems Administrator