[plug] RE: windows

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 15 09:39:18 WST 1999

Nathan,

> Windowmaker is the best looking and most efficient I have come across.

I've had a bit of a look at WindowMaker, I'm sure it runs fine, but it looks
a bit "chunky" for me.  Just my personal view.  It all comes down asthetics
some times.  I like having the choice though.

> There is a tiny issue with KDE which affects only Open Source zealots like
> myself. KDE is based on the Qt C++ toolkit, which in itself is pretty
> nice. Problem is, it is not exactly Open Source, well it is, you get the
> source code, you can change it, but releasing those changes is the tricky
> part. It is covered under a licence called QPL http://www.troll.no/qt

Doesn't bother me for now.  At least it's freer than M$ bloatware.

> Good move. I am seriously aggravated by Windows At the moment. I, like
> you, am a professional Access programmer. Today 2 hours before a very
> large project was due, it decided to throw a wobbly. I am so fed up
> with it, I am looking for the
> first opputunity to get into Linux professionally that comes along.

Fortunately for me, I am the boss and I can decide what I want to do.
Unfortunately _ALL_ of my clients use M$ stuff.  I'm doing up a plan at the
moment to try and move them over slowly.  Most of them are having so much
trouble with their networks and computers crashing, and they are crying out
for something better.  But their investment in M$ is such that it is a big
deal for them to change over.

Have you looked into Star Office 5.0?  It's cross platform and has a
database.  I've downloaded it but don't have all the dependancies.  I've
ordered RH5.2 from Linux Systems Labs which should be arriving today.
Perhaps if my clients can migrate to SO, then we can slowly move them
towards Linux.  There are still other issues though - eg accounting (I'm yet
to find a decent accounting package for Linux - guess I might have to
develop one myself.  I tried Banal the other day.  It's written in perl -
good, I can easily modify it - but is a pain to use.), software from the
likes of Commonwealth bank which only runs on windoze  etc.

I suppose if I even get them running on a mixed environment it will be
better than nothing.

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management