[plug] RE: windows

Grant Byers bycam at stealth.com.au
Fri Jan 15 09:58:00 WST 1999

Rob,

Just reading your message regarding the Desktop and your proposed use of
Star Office..

Just a word of warning.. Star Office is nice, but incredibly slow and very
resource hungry..
Mind you, I only run 16M ram, but I have spoken to others who have tried
it on 64M + and they say it's still basically unusable for the amount of
resources it swallows..

Anyway, can't hurt to try it for yourself...

As for Desktops, I'm in agreement with Nathan.. WindowMaker is the best I
have tried.. KDE hogs resources.. Mainly kdm and kfm.. I found I could run
WindowMaker and kde apps together nicely and it is a hell of alot faster..

Only thing to get used to is the 'chunky' 64x64 Dock icons, but it is
possible to reduce their size, and under a resolution of 800x600 upwards,
it isn't so bad..

Riverina Unix*sh Users Group
 www.rivuug.webfront.net.au
   bycam at stealth.com.au