[plug] RE: windows

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 15 10:07:07 WST 1999

Grant,

> Just a word of warning.. Star Office is nice, but incredibly slow and very
> resource hungry..
> Mind you, I only run 16M ram, but I have spoken to others who have tried
> it on 64M + and they say it's still basically unusable for the amount of
> resources it swallows..

One can argue the same for M$ Office.

> As for Desktops, I'm in agreement with Nathan.. WindowMaker is the best I
> have tried.. KDE hogs resources.. Mainly kdm and kfm.. I found I could run
> WindowMaker and kde apps together nicely and it is a hell of alot faster..

I have a Pentium MMX 200 with 64 Mb RAM.  I experimented the other night
running a heap of apps and reckon that it was faster than the win 98
equivalent (no supprises here) so I was happy.  The one thing that did
suppise me was that it didn't even touch the swap file!  Win 98 would have
been all over it.  This is probably a large portion of the performance gain.

> Only thing to get used to is the 'chunky' 64x64 Dock icons, but it is
> possible to reduce their size, and under a resolution of 800x600 upwards,
> it isn't so bad..

I don't like them at all - they get in the way a bit.

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management
"Making computers work for you."