[plug] New Years' Resolutions

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Jan 22 09:48:08 WST 1999

OKey doke, blokes... and the few special non-blokes...

What are we going to do with PLUG this year?

El Prezzo's had a good shot at getting us some heavy publicity, still
on-going in the case of radio stations but somewhat thwarted in the case
of TV by the, umm, not-very-well-planned editing which took place, and
also wants to do an install-fest. David Buddridge and a few others want
to pitch in and do a computers-for-the-poor thing. All good ideas,
methinks, but more than one or two people are needed in order to make
each one work.

So, what do we actually do?

I think an install-fest is good. Perhaps iinet would like to host it, if
we push them as an ISP in return (ie, use iinet as the default ISP when
setting up machines to dial). Should we charge? $20? Or does that make
us more liable if someone whinges? When should we do this? How should we
advertise? Should we take business cards to chase followup business, or
tell them to post on the list? Should we add other 'phone numbers to the
Web page? If so, who wants theirs added?

Computers for the poor/handicapped is good, but those who have the
energy to do it will have no time, and those with time will have no
enthusiasm, or at least, that's how it usually goes. Does anyone have
any ideas about that? Should that group have regular meetings, and/or a
roster/pledge for at least N hours a week of collection, assembly and
delivery work? How should they advertise? Is this also an opportunity
for "ecumenical" interaction with other user groups? Can PLUG benefit
from it while benefiting others?

Are there any expos or such-like that we could have a stand at?

Global Warriors was enjoyable. Should we contact others and make it a
regular thing? Would this introduce one-eyed Windows users to other
possibilities, or would it be too much hard work?

Are there gummint funds or awards that PLUG can tap into?

Any other ideas?

--
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then