[plug] Parallel Port Scanners

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Fri Jan 22 11:13:14 WST 1999

From:           	"Michael Hunt" <Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net>
Subject:        	[plug] Parallel Port Scanners
Date sent:      	Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:40:08 +0800
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Hiya all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has had experience in setting up a parallel port
> scanner under Linux. (Particularly an AGFA Snapscan EZ). I know I am a cheap

Don't like your chances... unless it contains a parallel to SCSI convertor
inside (in which case loan me the scanner for a week and I'll write a driver).

> skate and should have brought a SCSI model but I am certainly interested in
> anyone who has any suggestions about this. I'd prefer to work directly with
> my images in GIMP rather than scan them in under WINDOZE and then copy them
> across.  Are these devices like winmodems in the sense that the6y are only
> good with the windows driver.

Not quite that bad, they will work under other OS if:
a) They release a driver (eg: for OS/2)
b) Release the programing details

Item a is rare, item b never occurs (not for scanners anyway). Check
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/scanner.html for my opinions on this matter.

> On a different note does such a thing as TWAIN exist under Linux ?

Yes, SANE (Scan Anywhere Now Easy)

campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)