[plug] CD Burner software

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Fri Jan 22 14:43:23 WST 1999

From:           	"Hill, Damion" <Damion.Hill at health.wa.gov.au>
To:             	"'Plug'" <plug at linux.org.au>
Subject:        	[plug] CD Burner software
Date sent:      	Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:11:34 +0800
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a question on behalf of a co-worker who is considering taking the
> plunge into Linux - no, it's not a distro question!
>
> His old 486 has a burner in it and Winblows keeps falling over. He wants
> something reliable so he can keep using the box. His big question is, what
> software is available that will work with a Panasonic 7501 burner. I believe
> this is a SCSI model.

cdrecord 1.6 will happily burn a CD (without fault) while performing a kernel
compile. Addmittedly the kernel compile will be a bit slow (something to do
with the cdrecord forcing itself to the top of the processing stack).

You will still require CD images to be made but most CD burner programs
(windows based at least) allow to form images that can be burnt using cdrecord.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)