[plug] CD Burner software

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Jan 22 15:26:16 WST 1999

> > His old 486 has a burner in it and Winblows keeps falling over. He wants
> > something reliable so he can keep using the box. His big question is, what
> > software is available that will work with a Panasonic 7501 burner. I believe
> > this is a SCSI model.
>
> cdrecord 1.6 will happily burn a CD (without fault) while performing a kernel
> compile. Addmittedly the kernel compile will be a bit slow (something to do
> with the cdrecord forcing itself to the top of the processing stack).
>
> You will still require CD images to be made but most CD burner programs
> (windows based at least) allow to form images that can be burnt using cdrecord.

cdrecord does not work with the Panasonic 7501... No support on the
horizon either as Matsushita (Panasonic) are now pushing the 7502...

As for making images mkisofs and mkhybrid are great for making data cds
mkisofs and cdrecord are built into a number of graphical interfaces
too... the one I use is xcdroast... I use mkisofs to build my linux
cds...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at it.net.au