[plug] Training for Linux?

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Tue Jan 26 09:38:29 WST 1999

First pass, comments prior to nation-wide email broadcast.
David Campbell

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Background
=====================

During the discussions of the Perth Linux User Group last night, there was a heated
discussion (not quite a heated debate but coming close) on how to promote Linux in the
general comunity. In the previous week there had been a small segment (1 min 36 sec) on
Channel 10 News about Linux which generated mixed responses (the Prez [Chris Cornish]
was fuming at the way the footage was edited although he had a marked increase in
queries [and sales] at his day job about Linux).

One line of thought was that the article promoted Linux as a drop in replacement for
Win95 causing people to rush out and "try it" possibly getting burnt and giving Linux a
bad reputation.

The two personal comments here is that people think they know enough (about Linux) but
actually only enough to be dangerous, secondly [Linux/Unix] "If you want this kind of
computing power you must realise it doesn't come easily" [although it is becoming
easier every year :-]. If you wish to flame me on the above views, see the flame
thrower section later...

    (I will be playing "Devil's Advocate" for some of the following sections).

Education - Industry