[plug] Trouble getting SQUID to work via a proxy.

Roger Yerramsetti rogery at wantree.com.au
Tue Jan 26 22:57:04 WST 1999

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Ian Kent wrote:

| # I'm not sure about this one. I think it was there by default?
| # It's is needed anyway.
| never_direct allow all

Yes this is needed in 2.x. What it basically means is that it will never
attempt to go direct to the original webserver for all hosts. Instead, it
will grab them via the parent(s) you have specified.

Without this option, squid attempts to go direct instead of speaking to
the parent, and this doesn't work for isp's who block port 80 (and don't
do transparent proxy redirections).

You can take the above configuration one step further :-)

Just say you have a domain name, say somedomain.com.au which is local, or
you always want to speak directly to (not via a parent proxy).

Then do something like...

acl godirect dstdom_regex \.somedomain\.com\.au$
always_direct allow godirect
never_direct deny godirect
never_direct allow all

It means squid will always go direct for requests to *.somedomain.com.au,
and will never go direct for everything else.

You can call the acl 'godirect' anything you want, and you should be able
to specify multiple domains on the same line

eg:

acl godirect dstdom_regex \.somedomain\.com\.au$ \.otherdom\.com\.au$

-----
Roger Yerramsetti      [   rogery at wantree.com.au   ]  if (windows) {
Snr Sys Administrator  [ http://www.wantree.com.au ]    crashnow();
Wantree Internet       [     Ph: (08) 9221 8899    ]  }