[plug] Trouble getting SQUID to work via a proxy.

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Wed Jan 27 16:22:31 WST 1999

At 09:30 PM 25-01-99 +0800, David Buddrige wrote something like:

snip ...

>[Intenet]==T1=[proxy.Q-net.net.au]===ppp===[my-linux-box-running-squid]==eth
>ernet==[my-wife's-computer]

I have this configuration at home also (using Q-net as well). The config is
different depending on your version of Squid, 1.x or 2.x.

The 1.x config is described in
http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-4.html#ss4.15. It is much the same as
using a firewall proxy such as http-gw of the TIS FWTK.

The 2.x is similar but the squid.conf directives have changed. The config I
am using is something like (as well as the rest of the normal stuff, of
course):

icp_port 0
htcp_port 0
cache_peer proxy.q-net.net.au. parent 3128 0 default
connect_timeout 240 seconds
# I'm not sure about this one. I think it was there by default?
# It's is needed anyway.
never_direct allow all

Basically you need to understand the FAQ description of a 1.x config and
read the comments on the new directives of 2.x.

Mind you it never seems to be quite that easy ????

snip ..
--
Ian Kent