[plug] Training for Linux?

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Wed Jan 27 07:16:46 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:01:31 +0800
From:           	"Marc Wiriadisastra" <strkefoc at vianet.net.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: [plug] Training for Linux?
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> In regards to David's comments on how to move forward in the Linux
> development and movement into the server areas and as well as the desktop
> arena.

*snip*

> We somehow start or find a course that
> teaches linux in most areas or all areas obviously if its viable linux
> office development how to use windows .doc products on linux machine by
> transferring them to partitions as well as other things.

The purpose of the email was to initiate development of such courses. Point
noted and additional comments added.

> Although most of us would like to see Windows crash and burn I would say we
> have to help people in that area who look at things through Microsoft's
> product eyes.

I was trying to be unbiased and look from the point of view of someone going to
their office manager and asking to install a web server (manager knows very
little about computers).

If I said there are two options, NT and Linux. Both require the same amount of
training (say 5 days @$200/day) but the Linux option will be $1000 cheaper,
everyone could guess the result. HOWEVER if I was to say NT would require 5
days training (@$200/day) but the Linux option would be $2000 cheaper (no
training) but I would be reading a book, the NT option "looks safer" (butt
covering exercise).

Thanks for the comment.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)