[plug] Getting sound to work

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Jan 27 08:36:04 WST 1999

Rick wrote:
> Hi, I'm in need of some help

Shall I? Naaah, I'll be polite...

> I guess there is some sort of configuration I need to change, but can't
> work out what.

Perhaps permissions on /dev/dsp or one of the other sound files; perhaps
permissions on the CD device (to get the user-mode play working),
perhaps the player application needs to be SUID root (but avoid that if
you can).

Do audio files, midi etc work, or are they as silent as the CD?

Sorry I'm not more helpful. I've only ever had to deal with sound on two
Linux boxes; on one, it worked by default (-: I know *nothing*! :-) and
on the other, the card is only supported under Linux 2.[123].*, which
seems to have appeared on ftp.au.kernel.org with an extensive README
file...

--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.   It just happens to
be