[plug] Training for Linux?

Rick rick at vianet.net.au
Tue Jan 26 10:57:44 WST 1999

As a complete newcomer to Linux, let me applaud David for his initiative.
I'm not new to computing, having fiddled and played for a number of years.
I have no recognized qualifications in computing, nor to I plan to get
them. I do enjoy learning and playing with computers and software though.

My comment is this. Is it worthwhile to get some sort of hobby course
together, for those like me, who are not computer illiterate, (I know what
a mouse is, and it isn't always a hairy little critter that scares my wife)

Moving from a windoze based system, to a Linux type system is quite scary,
unless you can get lots of support, or some sort of initial education. Even
the expressions/language used by those who move in the hallowed circles, (of
Linux/UNIX), is confusing to a rank beginner. Reading a manual, can, and
is, very daunting. The terminology can be very confusing.

I don't consider myself to have less then average computer, intelligence,
(having taught myself how to programme in 6502 machine code), but, I do
need a 'starter kit'. Some easy way to build a basic foundation, from which
I can grow. Something similar to 'Dr Watson's Assembler for the 6502',
would be just great.

Guess there must be a number of people in my shoes. Would love to really
get their collective teeth into Linux, but, need to have a simple
introduction.

Something to think on, at any rate.

At 09:38 26/01/99 +0800, you wrote:
>First pass, comments prior to nation-wide email broadcast.
>David Campbell
>
>-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>Background
>=====================
>
>During the discussions of the Perth Linux User Group last night, there was
a heated
>discussion (not quite a heated debate but coming close) on how to promote
Linux in the
>general comunity. In the previous week there had been a small segment (1
min 36 sec) on
>Channel 10 News about Linux which generated mixed responses (the Prez
[Chris Cornish]
>was fuming at the way the footage was edited although he had a marked
increase in
>queries [and sales] at his day job about Linux).
>
>One line of thought was that the article promoted Linux as a drop in
replacement for
>Win95 causing people to rush out and "try it" possibly getting burnt and
giving Linux a
>bad reputation.
>
>The two personal comments here is that people think they know enough
(about Linux) but
>actually only enough to be dangerous, secondly [Linux/Unix] "If you want
this kind of
>computing power you must realise it doesn't come easily" [although it is
becoming
>easier every year :-]. If you wish to flame me on the above views, see the
flame
>thrower section later...
>
>    (I will be playing "Devil's Advocate" for some of the following
sections).

>Education - Industry
>=====================
>
>>From what I have seen to date, Linux has achieved "critical mass" for a
segment of the
>network server market (internet servers) approximately two years ago. I
would expect
>that Linux should have "all the fruit" required for decent office desktop
within 12-18
>months. The improvements in "office applications" area in the past 12
months is
>somewhere between dramatic and miraculous, however there is still an air
of "not quite
>there yet".
>
>One area where Linux should be able to hold its own is the file/print
server section. I
>have seen numerous emails on the finer points of samba configuration which
would leave
>competing products for dead. If Samba is so good, why aren't more
companies using it?

>The answer is that there are a LOT of people who do not fully understand
Samba (Linux
>or other applications such as Apache). Without proper understanding,
people will be
>unprepared to "stick their neck out" and take the risk (fear of the
unknown). I am well
>aware the existence of the fine book "Samba: Integrating UNIX and
Windows", however
> [...]
courses
>which issue a "certificate of attendance", not necessarily passed - for
example I have
>a certificate which states "This is to certify that xxxx has completed a
course of
>instruction in yyyy". Providing there is a course fits the requirement
(for example
>install a web server) that is reasonably priced, recognised to deliver the
goods then
>getting managerial approval will be easy (compared to finding a suitable
course from my
>experience!)
>
>Therefore it would seem the magic solution to our dilema of getting Linux
widely
>accepted by industry is to promote training courses based around Linux and
its
>associated "suite of solutions" (about the best term I can think of to
describe what
>Linux capabilites).
>
>The fly in the oitment here is the ability of "recognised to deliver the
goods", often
>a manager will base his opinion on this matter by:
>   a) is the company/organisation delivering the course a reputable
training company
>   b) is the course recognised by professional bodies
>	(eg: Australian Computer Society as part of their on-going training
requirements
>	for membership)
>
>      !!! IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SUCH TRAINING COURSES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
>            (Or even help assist constructing such training courses)
>
>Education - Home user
>=====================
>
>One interesting development is the sale of pre-installed Linux boxes for
the home
>market. The PLUG Prez [Chris Cornish] is one of these people getting
involved in this
>segement of the market. To ensure that the customer is satisfied he sends
the proud
>owner to a quick training course on Linux.
>
>The question I have is what courses currently exist which would gently
ease a computer
>neophyte into the world of Linux? One suggestion would be for local Linux
user groups
>to be involved with local TAFEs to conduct night classes (eg: 1 night a
week for 10
>weeks run at a local high school under the auspices of TAFE). If we follow
the TAFE
>line of thought, how much course material is currently available and how
much would
>need to developed (naturally the first week would end up being a "this is
a mouse, this
>is a hard drive..." session).
>
>Some work is currently underway with the computerbank project.
>
>Flame Thrower
>=====================
>
>The above are the views of David Campbell and may not reflect the views of
I am willing
>to be corrected providing you have some constructive comments to add, this
way the
>whole Linux community moves forward.
>
>David Campbell

Cheers
Rick

E=Mail    - rick at vianet.net.au
Home Page - http://www.vianet.net.au/~rick/index.htm
Packet    - VK6EP at VK6ANC.#PER.#WA.AUS.OC