[plug] queries

Larry O'Reilly lor at ecoli.microbiol.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 29 11:31:55 WST 1999

I have a few questions regarding the operation of my linux server

My mail to lor at ecoli.microbiol.uwa.edu used to work fine but since last
week when I use eudora on my mac or any other mac I get "ERR being read
already /usr/spool/mail/lor" from my linux server. This does not happen
with other mail
users from my mac.

It has been suggested to me to look for lock files. I have looked in
/usr/spool/mail and /var/spool/mail (which appear the samr) and can not see
a lock file (not sure I would recognise one even if I saw it). There are
not any strange .xxxx files in the directories. There is a /var(usr)/lock
directory which contains ., .. & /emacs (which is empty).
What are lock files, what are they named,what are their contents and where
do they hide?.

Also if I want to copy or duplicate a directory, including files and
subdirectories and preserve links etc with the idea of working on the
original directory and if I stuff up then replace it with the copy of the
original what commands would I use. I am a little wary of doing this even
after reading tar etc in case I get in more trouble than I'm already in.

Also for mail forwarding to work does one need more than a .forward file.
Is there some system switch or setting to be activated. I already have the
.forward but no forwarding happens. Suggestions again please.

Also is shadow passwording always on (off) or can one turn that on (off)
too? If so how.

Help would be appreciated.

Ta

Larry O'Reilly