[plug] Re: "Linux overtaking Windoze95"

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 29 11:37:24 WST 1999

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Peter Scully wrote:

> book.  While I'm not a programmer, I'm hardly a Windoze Crash Test Dummy
> and still haven't got most of it running.  Sorry if that blows anyone's
> ideas of taking on the the world of Bill Gates in an installfest.

I suspect the problem is that Linux is turning into a religion. So
converts think that what is good for them must be good for everyone.
   But Linux is not a jealous god. There is no first commandment.

For many, it is _good_ that Microsoft (almost) force windows programmers
to follow strict conventions. Windows 95 has a uniformity of look and feel
that Linux will never have. (I hope!)

> APC mag).  I'll continue to battle with it no matter what, because it's
> re-awakened the thrill of being able to control what goes on and fix

Amen. That is what it is all about. And a damned good programming environ,
stable server....  but need never be the worlds best office desktop or
games platform.

Oh dear, I 've been ranting.
Can any beginners recommend a book? I guess there are plenty of
Linux-specific ones these days. Anything from O'reilly is probably good.
Many others have colourful covers, and look like the Windows books that
rush to cram the shelves after every new MS beta release.

> searching out the appropriate files I was ble to get them both performing
> far better than they do in Windoze.

You might be able to get a third party driver that lets you set refresh
rates, etc. better under Windoze.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
For perfect happiness, remember two things:
        (1) Be content with what you've got.
        (2) Be sure you've got plenty.