[plug] PURGING LINUX

Rick rick at vianet.net.au
Sun Jan 31 15:26:26 WST 1999

PURGING LINUX.

If you have been brave enough, (for brave, read foolhardy), to install
Linux, then you may need to now how to remove it. This may not be the best
way to do it, but, it worked for me.

First, you must get rid of the LILO boot thingy. That is if you set it up
initially. Getting rid of LILO is quite simple. (I'm assuming here that you
have LILO installed on your C drive)

Boot your machine with a floppy disk (Not Linux silly, DOS), that also has
FDISK on it.
Switch to your C drive.
Type  'fdisk /mbr' (Without the quotes silly) and press <enter>
Presto, LILO is no more.

Then you must get rid of the partitions on your hard drive that harbour the
infestation (Linux, that is). I found that Microsoft's FDISK, could not
handle the job.

I booted my machine with the Linux Install boot disk, and went through the
initial part of the installation procedure, until I got to the part where
you are asked what disk partitioning software you want to use. I selected
Disk Druid.

This is where you need to be very cautious. If you delete the wrong
partition, you could lose your other operating system. Windoze, DOS,
whatever. BE CAREFUL, OK.

After getting into Disk Druid, I selected first the partition for the
swapfile, and deleted that. Then I selected the root partition and deleted
that. Do the same for any other partitions that you have created for Linux.
(I'm sure the order has no significance) Once again, move cautiously. Only
delete the Linux partitions.

Then press the <BACK> button. You will be asked if you want to save the
partitions. Select yes. (Unless you've made a mistake that is)

That's it. Now you can reboot your machine and use Microsoft's FDISK, to
repartition your drive.

Just a little warning. If you have reduced the original partition, to make
room for Linux, you may just have to keep two partitions on your hard
drive. Otherwise, you will lose the data in the reduced partition. Perhaps
something like 'Partition Magic', can handle that??

Best of luck.

Caveat - I accept no responsibility if you either misread, or in any other
way, damage your system through what you have read here. Tread with caution.

Cheers
Rick

E=Mail    - rick at vianet.net.au
Home Page - http://www.vianet.net.au/~rick/index.htm
Packet    - VK6EP at VK6ANC.#PER.#WA.AUS.OC