[plug] Netscape & Stability ...

Tom Atkinson tom at tyco.net.au
Fri Jul 2 20:58:13 WST 1999

I am running Communicator 4.61 with Kernel 2.2.9, Xfree86 3.3.3 and must
say that it is by far the most stable Netscape setup that I have yet
used.  I downloaded 4.61 about 2 weeks ago and haven't yet seen it
crash.  The "overall feel" is one of solidity, and I suspect, but
haven't done any testing, that load up time is much reduced.

So, a very different report to that of Trevor Phillips!

My distro is Caldera 2.2, which is my first with glibc.  The
communicator that came with the distro was 4.51, which was dynamically
linked to libc5 and statically to Motif.  That communicator did have
some stability problems (e.g "bus errors"), and I really wanted one that
was linked to glibc.  So I downloaded 4.61.

I purchased Motif, so this version of communicator is dynamically linked
to both glibc and Motif!  For window manager, I use Mwm.

Trevor, re your problems, I would focus on KDE as being the culprit.
Haven't some others reported stability problems with this version of
KDE? (1.1.1)

Tom Atkinson