[plug] Netscape & Stability ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Jul 3 13:09:34 WST 1999

Tom Atkinson wrote:

> I am running Communicator 4.61 with Kernel 2.2.9, Xfree86 3.3.3 and must
> say that it is by far the most stable Netscape setup that I have yet
> used.  I downloaded 4.61 about 2 weeks ago and haven't yet seen it
> crash.  The "overall feel" is one of solidity, and I suspect, but
> haven't done any testing, that load up time is much reduced.

I agree, 4.61 WAS the most stable Communicator so far, until something
on my system changed...

> So, a very different report to that of Trevor Phillips!

Not so different; I haven't always had problems with it. ^_^

> Trevor, re your problems, I would focus on KDE as being the culprit.
> Haven't some others reported stability problems with this version of
> KDE? (1.1.1)

Hmmm, well, my home KDE 1.1.1 doesn't have the problem, and my work KDE
1.1.1 didn't used to.

I *think* I've fixed the problems, or at least made it a lot MORE
stable. I checked my X server stuff, and found my svga X server was
3.3.3.1-2 (Debian Package), whereas most of the other X packages were
still 3.3.2.x. I upgraded svga to 3.3.3.1-9 (the latest, although
categorised as "unstable"), as well as the latest in all the other X
packages.

As a result, I've hammered Netscape, and admittedly, had one crash, but
no where near the instability I had before. I'm not sure if the problem
was in the earlier package of the svga server, or if there were some
dependency issues between some of the other X packages, although Debian
is usually excellent at setting up required dependencies...

OR, I may still have the problem, and when I hammered Netscape, I was
just damn lucky.

OR, I may still have some OTHER problems. I think the crash after MAY be
linked to some other funny system behaviour. I've installed the latest
Alsa 0.3.2 sound system, which I've had some problems with ...

Ah well, I don't mind a few problems with living on the edge of
releases, and it's STILL a helluva lot more stable than Windoze. ^_^

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :