[plug] Console User - Mount

Peter Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 7 08:34:19 WST 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Bradley Browne wrote:

> Is there some way to make the icons in KDE for the cdrom and floppy user
> un-mountable ?  By this I mean that I can ATM mount the drives but I cannot
> unmount them with the icons.  KDE tells me that I have to be root to do it and
> yet I have changed the group of the mount and umount executables to console, of
> which I am a group.
>
> While on the subject of consoles, is there some other way for me to make console
> users able to access the mount and umount ability of some drives versus others,
> other than to change that group with chgrp ?  I have tried to do this via
> linuxconf with RedHat 6.0 and I have not had much luck.   What I am trying to do
> is give some users access to some filesystems (being able to mount/unmount them)
> and not others.
>
> A handy URL to any of the resources would be neat as I have had trouble finding
> something of the sort.

Under RedHat 6 there is a console group. If you add all users to it they
can mount/unmount all drives, and access other local hardware, but only if
they are logged into the console.

Peter

| Windows has detected that the mouse has moved, please reboot for |
| this change to take effect                                       |
Peter Robinson
ribbo at iinet.net.au
http://www.iinet.net.au/~ribbo/