[plug] Hard Drive woes

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Jul 11 02:58:16 WST 1999

> > Hey all,
> > I've got my 1.3 gig Maxtor Hard Drive in my machine, but there seems to be
> > bad sectors on it, and I've tried formatting and scandisking it to fix it,
> > but it just freezes. If anyone has any advice for me, let me know ASAP as I
> > want to get into Linux and out of Windows
>
> That's what you get from used-and-abused harddrives at cheap prices :) So
> windows crashes? what a nice feature. I would do this: boot up a linux
> rescue/boot disk and try to badblocks the drive/partition.
>
> I thought modern (IDE?) drives had an mechanism to label BAD BLOCKS.
> Perhaps your drive is too old, eh? Or maybe the errors are very bad.

Never before have I seen such errors on an EIDE or IDE disk: I didn't
choose the option to remap bad blocks.

The install seemed to go well: no errors (apart from idiocies such as not
running genhdlist after replacing updated rpms on the install image).
Twasn't until it wanted a manual fsck when we rebooted after the install
that there was any hint of trouble.

Then there was a pile of junk in /etc/conf.modules, XFree stops without
any significant message: lots of dropped modelines, but othing to say what
was wrong.

The command "dmesg" was revealing.

--
Cheers