[plug] Hard Drive woes

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 11 17:17:47 WST 1999

bk at bofh.ns.ca wrote:

> > Hey all,
> > I've got my 1.3 gig Maxtor Hard Drive in my machine, but there seems to be
> > bad sectors on it, and I've tried formatting and scandisking it to fix it,
> > but it just freezes. If anyone has any advice for me, let me know ASAP as I
> > want to get into Linux and out of Windows
>
> That's what you get from used-and-abused harddrives at cheap prices :) So
> windows crashes? what a nice feature. I would do this: boot up a linux
> rescue/boot disk and try to badblocks the drive/partition.
>
> I thought modern (IDE?) drives had an mechanism to label BAD BLOCKS.
> Perhaps your drive is too old, eh? Or maybe the errors are very bad.
>
> -David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).

If you can get on to Maxtor on the internet---http://www.maxtor.com you can
download a collection of Maxtor Utility files which are collectively packed into
a file named MUD.EXE this self extracts to provide the repertoir, one of the
utilities will do a Low Level Format which will mark out all bad blocks if at all
possible. If not well think about a new 4.3 Gyg Maxtor for about $270. I could
send you a copy of MUD.EXE if you are really stuck,

Len Bird