[plug] y2k help

Mike Hasleby hasm at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 12 17:46:13 WST 1999

Hi all Pluggers,

This is my first request for help - but first some background our my/the
schools connection/use of linux - you can skip this if you wish.

I work as a computer technician/network administrator at Lake Joondalup
Baptist College and was introduced to Linux when we had an internet
server intsalled to connect our admin computers to the www last year.
We converted that into a student file server and dual modem internet
connection at the beginning of this year.  At present we are still
running our library software on Window NT 4.0 and our Admin aslo has a
NT 4.0 server for staff workspace/college database.  We are looking at
switching these both to linux as well at the end of the year following
Paul Baumgartens success at Kingsway Christian College in doing the
same.

y2k - help
We are thinking of switching our clocks forward to test our software for
y2k complancy - having checked out our hardware - but heard of someone
who has done this with a Novell server and had a bit of a mess to clean
up afterwards.  Does anyone know if we are likely to run into problems
with logs etc by moving our clocks forward for a test and then putting
them back again.

dual modem connection - more help
At present we are connecting to our ISP using Babylon - but not having
much success with this - we are having a lot of modem dropouts
occuring.  Can anyone steer me in the direction of how to acheive the
same thing using ppp or something similar.

Thanks

Mike Hasleby