[plug] Need help please?

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 16 20:24:32 WST 1999

Chris Griffin wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 6.0 and I seem to be having problems getting the dial
> up networking going. It worked fine in 5.2 but not now. To clarify, it
> dials fine and seems to negotiate with the NT RAS server at the other end
> ok, but the ip/routing for ppp0 does not seem to get set up. Yes, I have
> defined it in the setup just as I did in 5.2.
> I have tried doing the setup/changes/debugging under linuxconf, KDE and
> AfterStep. All seem to have the same problem.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Chris Griffin
>
>                                \\\___///
>                                \\  - -  //
>                                 (  @ @  )
> +----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
> | Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
> | Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
> | Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
> | 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
> | West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
> | PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
> +-----------------------------------Oooo----------------+
> I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
> - it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
>    somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
>                                \_)

You should download Eznet from Linuxberg, this does it with no pain at all.
However you should reset all of the Control Panel options to default, i.e. no
trace of previous dial up attempts left before installing Eznet.. The only
other snag is that Eznet requires su to function. There might very well be a
fix for this also, but the su session is only going to be required to get you
connected to your ISP. Let me know how you get on.

Regards,  Len Bird