[plug] Linux assumptions..

gb gb at perthpcug.org.au
Tue Jul 13 00:33:45 WST 1999

Hi,

I'm still learning Linux, I guess we all are.. I have some questions, but I
think the best way to ask would be to state assumptions and ask for comments.

1. An installed application (non system type) consists entirely of the
executable  (binary) in   /bin . The installation  process  merely is copying
it to /bin and making X menu additions where appropriate.

2. "Uninstalling" programs is just a matter of reversing the above.. This is of
interest when I wish to lose some of the utilities which double up on
functions, following an installation. I use RH6.

3. When there are updates to say Xfree86, I can just update it, without being
paranoid about libraries being out of date. Or will the RPM process look for
the updated "requireds"?

4. Apart from startup and icon launches, (this is an extension of Q1 & 2)
scripts are not used in the running of programs, and I don't need to worry
about tracing them when deleting programs.

5. There is no way to speed up the dialling to my ISP. I use kppp, and it dials
at what must be as slow as a rotary dial phone.

6. There is no stable, reliable java virtual machine for Linux and Netscape. I
usually use kde,  but sometimes use gnome.

7. There is no way to change the default from gnome to kde. ( This is a bit
rhetorical, there *must* be a way..) Hopefully.

Would appreciate guidence here, it might even help other  plodders..

Garry.