[plug] Linux assumptions..

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Jul 13 01:12:55 WST 1999

A bit vaugue, but here's a try.

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, gb wrote:

> 1. An installed application (non system type) consists entirely of the
> executable  (binary) in   /bin . The installation  process  merely is copying
> it to /bin and making X menu additions where appropriate.

Best to install "packages", such as 'rpm's. Files loaded may include
libraries, config files, documentation, data files.

  Some programs may install from a makefile.

> 2. "Uninstalling" programs is just a matter of reversing the above.. This is of

Uninstalling a "package" is automated. try "man rpm".
But even manually uninstalling an app is usually a lot easier than in
windoze, since most of the files will be in one place, and not dumped in
the system directories.

> 3. When there are updates to say Xfree86, I can just update it, without being
> paranoid about libraries being out of date. Or will the RPM process look for
> the updated "requireds"?

If you even have RPM. I think you are asking about RedHat, yes? Other
distros differ.

> 5. There is no way to speed up the dialling to my ISP. I use kppp, and it dials
> at what must be as slow as a rotary dial phone.

Could that be because your modem is doing pulse dialing?
Putting a 't' for tone in the dial command will override that.
e.g. "ATDT93456789"

> 7. There is no way to change the default from gnome to kde. ( This is a bit
> rhetorical, there *must* be a way..) Hopefully.

How do you start Gnome ? (twm rules!)
Look at your startup scripts.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	"Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
	 Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates."