[plug] Registry info

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 13 10:20:11 WST 1999

I think there are two different issues here -- (1) a user friendly method of
updating the system configuration, and (2) putting the system configuration
somewhere other than it's current variety of locations.

Before anyone starts reinventing the Win-9x registry, don't forget that not
all Linux users have X windows running. I have 2 Linux machines, only one of
which uses X (paradoxically, it's the elder of the two, but that's not
particularly important), so a purely X interface to a newly (and properly)
designed registry would piss me off mightily.

Also, UNIX was designed deliberately to have ASCII files for system
configuration so that if something major goes wrong you can drop into Admin
mode, mount the errant filesystem somewhere and make changes/recover using
little other than vi and a small handfull of standard tools. Anyone who
starts playing database (which is all that a registry is) with all the
system configs is moving against that philosophy, and potentially lining
trouble up for later.

Personally, I'd go for leaving the config files where they are and writing a
set of common and consistant looking/behaving tools to access them. Being a
Perl bigot, I'd go for the web server/CGI script approach as well. It's an
approach which is used already in similar circumstances (Netscape use a
modified version of Apache to manage their Enterprise server, for example),
and it's not that hard to design a consistant interface and pattern of
behaviour.  That way, those who chose to work the old fashioned way can
still do so, and those who ache for a MickeySoft style control panel can
have one.

Best of both worlds, surely?

Paul