[plug] Linux assumptions..

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 13 10:31:13 WST 1999

> Hi,
>
> I'm still learning Linux, I guess we all are.. I have some questions, but
> think the best way to ask would be to state assumptions and ask for
comments.

> 1. An installed application (non system type) consists entirely of the
> executable  (binary) in   /bin . The installation  process  merely is
copying
> it to /bin and making X menu additions where appropriate.

Remeber that for Linux an executable is only a file with a permission bit
set which says 'this can be executed'.  Thus, compiled source code files fit
this, as do scripts for the shell, Perl, TCL and a number of other
languages. Executables can live anywhere, /bin is only one example
(/usr/sbin is another).  In fact, any system wide utilities that I produce
for clients will always go into /usr/local/bin. Executables for individual
users will usually live in a ~user/bin directory (but this is a matter of
choice), and web servers have a global CGI-BIN directory which also holds
executables. For installable options, X binaries don't live in /bin.

> 2. "Uninstalling" programs is just a matter of reversing the above.. This
is of
> interest when I wish to lose some of the utilities which double up on
> functions, following an installation. I use RH6.

Sometimes,  yes, but not always :-(   Packages can duplicate files, although
it's clumsy if they do. Red Hat (the example that I use most) has good
control over installing and deinstalling packages and what you said is
pretty much what it does. Sometimes there are odd side effects though.

> 4. Apart from startup and icon launches, (this is an extension of Q1 & 2)
> scripts are not used in the running of programs, and I don't need to worry
> about tracing them when deleting programs.

Not sure I understand this,  sorry.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul