[plug] y2k help

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Jul 13 09:34:05 WST 1999

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Mike Hasleby wrote:

> Does anyone know if we are likely to run into problems
> with logs etc by moving our clocks forward for a test and then putting
> them back again.

If you don't mind your logs "appearing" out of order, then it's not a
problem.  The only programs I can think of that can give problems when
you're changing the clock _backwards_ are things like "make" (so if you
compile anything whilst "in the year 2000" then make might complain if you
try to compile it again when you arrive back in 1999) and if you run
bandwidth (or anything else) statistics using mrtg, then you should
probably switch that off before you "time travel" otherwise it will assume
all values for the rest of this year are the last value recorded.

 - Matt