[plug] Linux assumptions..

gb gb at perthpcug.org.au
Tue Jul 13 09:34:43 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> A bit vaugue, but here's a try.
>
> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, gb wrote:
>   Some programs may install from a makefile.
>
> > 5. There is no way to speed up the dialling to my ISP. I use kppp, and it dials
> > at what must be as slow as a rotary dial phone.
>
> Could that be because your modem is doing pulse dialing?
> Putting a 't' for tone in the dial command will override that.
> e.g. "ATDT93456789"

No,  it is prefixed with ATDT.  Is there any way to speed up the dial rate?

> > 7. There is no way to change the default from gnome to kde. ( This is a bit
> > rhetorical, there *must* be a way..) Hopefully.
>
> How do you start Gnome ? (twm rules!)
> Look at your startup scripts.

When I boot, I get a GUI login. There is a default environment, Gnome, which you get
if you enter login, then password, then <Enter>. There are menus below, "System" and
"Options". Options allows the selection of other envirinments, but I'd like to know
how to control the default.. I  prefer kde, and choice is one of the reasons I left
windoze.. (Apart from stability and the other usuals..)

Not sure how how to determine which is the startup script which controls this..

**One further question..  Is it possible to get a printout of the installed packages
(including version info!) on your system, to compare with the latest stable versions
at Freshmeat/ Linuxburg etc?  Yes, I use RH 6.0, so RPMs are of major interest.

Thanks for help so far..