[plug] Linux assumptions..

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Jul 13 11:10:34 WST 1999

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, gb wrote:

> > e.g. "ATDT93456789"
>
> No,  it is prefixed with ATDT.  Is there any way to speed up the dial rate?

That would be your modem. Nothing to do with kppp. You'll need to read the
modem manual. ( You mean the actually DTMF beeps are slow, right? )

> > How do you start Gnome ? (twm rules!)
> > Look at your startup scripts.
>
> When I boot, I get a GUI login. There is a default environment, Gnome, which you get

OK, so you are using xdm? Read the manual for that and you will see how it
starts. There will be a script somewhere that you can read and see exactly
what is happening. (I hope that interests you - welcome to Linux.)

> Not sure how how to determine which is the startup script which controls this..

'man xdm' I think. See the FILES section at the end.

> **One further question..  Is it possible to get a printout of the installed packages
> (including version info!) on your system, to compare with the latest stable versions
> at Freshmeat/ Linuxburg etc?  Yes, I use RH 6.0, so RPMs are of major interest.

Read the RPM man page. Oh, alright:    rpm -q -a | lpr

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	"Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
	 Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates."