[plug] Linux assumptions..

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed Jul 14 11:54:09 WST 1999

> That would be your modem. Nothing to do with kppp. You'll need to read the
> modem manual. ( You mean the actually DTMF beeps are slow, right? )

Weird. I setup my RedHat 6.0 box with a Netcom 56K modem and added the
command ATDT and she tone dials a beauty. Seens the old pulse dialing
happening on dize but not Linux (Doze has a setting that users can switch on
when they don't know what they are doing).

> > > How do you start Gnome ? (twm rules!)
> > > Look at your startup scripts.
> >
> > When I boot, I get a GUI login. There is a default environment,
> Gnome, which you get
>
> OK, so you are using xdm? Read the manual for that and you will see how it
> starts. There will be a script somewhere that you can read and see exactly
> what is happening. (I hope that interests you - welcome to Linux.)

I'll think you'll find that it is called GDM (the gnome replacement for XDM
under RH6). If you muck about with the XDM scripts you'll probably find that
you break the whole thing. (Sorry you'll find this with linux/unix in
general. Ask some one on the list about sendmail.cf files and you'll soon
find out what I mean).

Check /usr/doc/gdm* as I'm sure there is a default line you can change in
the config file.