[plug] Registry info

Bill Cullen billc at wantree.com.au
Tue Jul 13 16:08:40 WST 1999

Tom Atkinson wrote:
> The biggest thing about such a scheme, and the reason it is important
> for Unix/Linux, is that it makes administration of the system
> considerably easier.

<snip>

Tom, you don't need a registry to do that. You just need a
front end application that updates the various files for you.
The users are only interested in the interface, they don't care
what happens behind the scenes.

As a sysadmin I do though. I would much rather be able to
easily edit config files when I need to. And I need to be
able to edit them easily with something like vi when the
system is in single user mode.

I find the Windows registry a bit of a pain in the bum. I would
much rather be able to edit the old ini files when I have to.
When somethings goes wrong with your Windows registry your stuffed.
At least with text files it's easier to fix.

Bill.