[plug] y2k testing

Mike Hasleby hasm at ljbc.edwa.net.au
Mon Jul 12 12:55:55 WST 1999

Hi to all you pluggers,

My first time with a request - hoping someone will be able to advise me
regarding y2k testing.

I am the computer technician/network administrator at Lake Joondalup
Baptist College.  We are slowly making the transition of switching over
to Linux. Having determined that our hardware is y2k compliant and
having been assured by some of our software vendors that their product
is OK as well we are wanting to test it by setting our server clocks
forward.  I have spoken to someone who did this with Novell and had a
bit of a mess to clean up as a result.

Does anyone know if we are likely to encounter problems doing so with
our Linux servers.

We are running a student file server/internet gateway connection via a
Linux Slackware box, using Samba to give our Win95 workstations the
connectivity to student work space on the hard drive.  We are also at
present running a Window NT 4.0 server for staff workspace though will
probably switch this over to linux as well at the beginning of next
year.  Our library software is also running on an NT 4.0 server running
Microfusion via SQL server. - We are also sharing some CD Rom software
straight from the hard drive of the library software.

Yours

Mike Hasleby

Computer Technician/Network Administrator