[plug] y2k testing

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jul 14 13:14:02 WST 1999

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Mike Hasleby wrote:

> Hi to all you pluggers,
>
> My first time with a request - hoping someone will be able to advise me
> regarding y2k testing.

Really ??

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:46:13 +0800
From: Mike Hasleby <hasm at bigpond.com>
To: Plug <plug at linux.org.au>
Subject: [plug] y2k help

Hi all Pluggers,
This is my first request for help - but first some background our my/the
schools connection/use of linux - you can skip this if you wish.

> I am the computer technician/network administrator at Lake Joondalup
> Baptist College.  We are slowly making the transition of switching over
> to Linux. Having determined that our hardware is y2k compliant and
> having been assured by some of our software vendors that their product
> is OK as well we are wanting to test it by setting our server clocks
> forward.  I have spoken to someone who did this with Novell and had a
> bit of a mess to clean up as a result.
>
> Does anyone know if we are likely to encounter problems doing so with
> our Linux servers.

... You shouldn't BUT cron wont like it very much so you should shut that
down.  also I'd suggest that you truncate you logfiles before and after ... to
isolate the 'erroneous' (sp?) messages.

> We are running a student file server/internet gateway connection via a
> Linux Slackware box, using Samba to give our Win95 workstations the

Be carefull to keep a track of what files you create ... filesthat are made
100+ days in the future may freak win95/98 out ... I think Linux and samba
will handle it tho.

Of course I wounldn't take anything I say as gospell :)

Yours Tony.