[plug] Dual Sound cards

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 16 18:05:24 WST 1999

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 03:23:06PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
[can I play back from two sound cards at once?]

Yes, it works fine, so I'm told - in fact it's the suggested workaround
for cards which don't have full duplex support so that you can sample
and play back simultaneously.

Unfortunately, I'm lacking in firsthand experience at the moment - when
I went to buy a pair of AWE-64 PCI SB soundcards there was only one of
that model in stock, so I've made do so far with one. <sigh>

It may make a difference what sound drivers you use. Your choices are ;

OSS/Free	http://www.linux.org.uk/OSS/
		What you currently get in a Linux kernel. It's a cutdown
		version of...

OSS		http://www.4front-tech.com/oss.html
		Costs USD$20. Same as above, plus some extra drivers
		for proprietry cards (have you checked to see if you
		dual channel card is supported? if not, you could ask
		whether there are any plans to do so), tech-support,
		and a few other bits

ALSA		http://www.alsa-project.org/
		The new rewritten Linux sound drivers. Working nicely
		for me. It has a pretty straightforward mini-HOWTO (and a
		"NOWTO" for the impatient ::-) ).

[...]
> I'm porting this system to linux and X, and of course at the moment, I am using one machine
[...]

Sounds great - keep me/us posted.

[...]
> As an aside, the car pc psu for the in-car mp3 player is being difficult..
> We have blown up about $60 worth of Cap's and Fet's, plus wound numerous
> transofrmers.. Getting there slowly..

I've tried an inverter, myself. Unfortunately, my latest machine is a
bit big and power hungry for my inverter... well, it is when I plug a
screen in. ::-) (hey, it _almost_ works, if I turn the monitor on and
off a few times to warm it up!)

An LCD and a smaller box should do the job much better...

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal