[plug] Dual Sound cards

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Jul 16 15:23:06 WST 1999

G'day All....
Heres a good one..
I have an .mp3 system that I wrote for windows, for Ballroom dancing DJ work.
It has 2 independent .mp3 players, one for playing and one for cueing.
In windows, I could do this coz I have a dual soundcard. This is unfortunately a
device with no linux driver. But I can make this work with 2 soundcards, coz windows
will allow 2 or more sound drivers..
Has anyone ever done this with linux ?
I can't see any reason it would not work, but have not got around to trying it..
maybe /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 ????
I'm not sufficently familiar with the kernel driver model yet to know if you can do it??

I'm porting this system to linux and X, and of course at the moment, I am using one machine
to control everything, and a second 'dumb' slave machine for the other sound channel over NFS
and a tcp/ip channel for control.
I'd like to be able to eliminate this second machine and pop a second card in the first machine...

Thanks for any pointers...

As an aside, the car pc psu for the in-car mp3 player is being difficult..
We have blown up about $60 worth of Cap's and Fet's, plus wound numerous
transofrmers.. Getting there slowly..
Switchmode design is a lot harder than it looks :p)

The software is looking good, and the user interface is currently under development.
This is a 40x2 LCD with some custom buttons.. This allows to create several playlists
on a floppy and toggle between them in the car. With the usual skip/search/stop/go
buttons. Also an input from a car phone to pause the music when the phone rings or a
call is made.

When I say several playlists, they are small text files, and you can fit a LOT of
small text files on a 1.44 floppy :p)
You can also fit a LOT of .mp3's on an 18GB Fireball Hard disk..
Should be good for a couple of trips across the red centre :p)