[plug] RH 6 upgrade kills X

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sun Jul 18 11:34:40 WST 1999

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Bob Ogden wrote:

> BTW   /tmp/.X11-unix contained...

> drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Jul 17 19:17 ..

Aah! Wrong permissions on /tmp - should be  drwxrwxrwt

> srwxrwxrwx   1 root     bob             0 Apr 27 10:29 X0

> A lock file of some sort? I don't understand why it's there as X _was_

No, its a socket, aka "named pipe". One process reads and another writes.

> working before the upgrade (honest!)... Enlightenment on why this would
> occur would be appreciated.

/tmp permissions.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	"Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
	 Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates."