[plug] Dual Celerons ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jul 19 11:48:46 WST 1999

Ok, I'm back on this issue, yet again considering the Dual CPU option...

After some quick calculations, I figure you can buy inc tax, a PIII-450 + MB
for about $700.
OR, you can buy inc tax, TWO Celeron 400's + Dual MB for about $700!

What is the groups opinion on these alternatives? I've heared reports that
Dual Celeron isn't worth it due to the small L2 cache, but on the other hand
I've seen benchmarks which show Celeron's going quite well, single or dual!

Another factor is the AMD Athlon/K7, which has been performing well, but I
haven't seen any Aus prices yet...

Ok, so part of this re-interest is due to the recent new Q3Test benchmarks by
FiringSquad. Pity they used NT, and not Linux for the tests tho:
   http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/q3test106bench/

Any comments would be most appreciated.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :