[plug] Quakeathon

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Jul 19 13:51:05 WST 1999

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
> > If this post doesn't make sense, you'll understand why...
>
> Actually the post probably doesn't make much sense because I hadn't
> announced it yet.. :)

Hurray I'm not going insane :)

> > Matt can bring a serious hub
>
> I don't know about serious.. :)
> I can bring an 8-port hub, and probably enough patch cables to fill it.
>
> > I can bring a little 8-port 10Mb hub with
> > a BNC plug and some BNC and UTP cables, and I'm sure we can arrange some
> > power-boards between us, but if more people bring things like these it
> > will be easier to set things up.
>
> I'd also appreciate it if people let me know if they are thinking of
> coming, and if so, what they are bringing in the way of powerboards and
> hubs (if possible).  If you are bringing your computer, note you will need
> to bring the monitor/keyboard/mouse and all cables required to make it
> work.  A working network card is almost a necessity, though I will have
> one spare, and perhaps others will have spares too.. Don't count on them
> though, better arrange it on the list first.

I can (and will) bring an 8-port 10Mbit HUB (it has a coax loop on it as
well) one spare power board and some patch/x-over cables.
I'll also try VERY hard to get a 10/100 16 port switch to act as our backbone

Do we want to run dhcp or should we agree on the network details before hand

> > If you need to get things from the Net, ask Matt (zombie at networx.net.au)
> > well before time, as it will simplify things, both electrically and
> > politically, if we don't hook up to the web.
>
> So if you were saving your big downloads for the Quakeathon, let me know
> what you were planning to get and I'll try to squeeze it onto my HDD.
> I'll definitely have the latest versions of the Linux kernel and Q3Test
> etc.

Let me know if I can help as far as downloading goes etc etc.

>  - Matt (who's worried that that last comment will discourage everyone
>          from coming now)

Just a thought ..  should we make this an install feast aswell and advertise
it .... we may get some new blood that way ???

Yours Tony.