[plug] Quakeathon

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Jul 19 13:19:17 WST 1999

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:

> If this post doesn't make sense, you'll understand why...

Actually the post probably doesn't make much sense because I hadn't
announced it yet.. :)

> Matt can bring a serious hub

I don't know about serious.. :)
I can bring an 8-port hub, and probably enough patch cables to fill it.

> I can bring a little 8-port 10Mb hub with
> a BNC plug and some BNC and UTP cables, and I'm sure we can arrange some
> power-boards between us, but if more people bring things like these it
> will be easier to set things up.

I'd also appreciate it if people let me know if they are thinking of
coming, and if so, what they are bringing in the way of powerboards and
hubs (if possible).  If you are bringing your computer, note you will need
to bring the monitor/keyboard/mouse and all cables required to make it
work.  A working network card is almost a necessity, though I will have
one spare, and perhaps others will have spares too.. Don't count on them
though, better arrange it on the list first.

> If you need to get things from the Net, ask Matt (zombie at networx.net.au)
> well before time, as it will simplify things, both electrically and
> politically, if we don't hook up to the web.

So if you were saving your big downloads for the Quakeathon, let me know
what you were planning to get and I'll try to squeeze it onto my HDD.
I'll definitely have the latest versions of the Linux kernel and Q3Test
etc.

> BTW, if you want a good reason to not use Explorer, Matt has a URL for
> you. (-:

Just some javascript I found on someone's page

http://live.networx.net.au/~zombie/ to get started, repeated pressing of
<esc> in netscape to stop it. :)

> Any comments of day or venue?

If anybody can find an alternative venue (which is reasonably
central/close to public transport) please speak up now.. Anything that
will save all of us from lugging our equipment up those flights of
stairs would be welcomed by all I'm sure :)

 - Matt (who's worried that that last comment will discourage everyone
         from coming now)