[plug] Dual Celerons ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jul 19 14:09:22 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> Depends on the application. 128k cache can give a very good hit ratio, and
> its faster than the PII cache.

I wouldn't get a PII over a Celeron. The PIII tho with full speed cache is in
the ball park (up the costly end).

> > Ok, so part of this re-interest is due to the recent new Q3Test benchmarks by
>
> Ahah! Now we get to some real basis for an answer.
> This may well be the only issue that should affect your choice.

Yes, I'm an avid gamer. ^_^
It's not JUST for games, though. I'm a web developer, and I use Linux a lot,
so Dual CPU's would help with general processing, compilations, etc... I've
been considering a PIII, but for double the price, Celerons are STILL giving
close to the same performance, and for the same price as a single P3, I can
get a Dual Celeron config, so was after other people's experiences...
And Q3 1.06 already supports SMP. The speed increase is NOT huge, but then,
they were benchmarking under NT (no Linux update yet ... *sigh*)

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :