[plug] configuring talk

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 19 14:23:43 WST 1999

According to bk:
> >   [Couldn't bind to control socket : Cannot assign requested address (99).
> >    Press any key...]
>
> Have you tried strace -f -o strace.log talk ...? It could be binding to
> 0.0.0.0 or to port 0 which is a bad thing. Could you show your /etc/hosts
> file? 'hostname' aswell.

Ahh! Thanks for that ... when I looked at strace.log and directed my
attention at where it was binding to, it was immediately apparent what
was going wrong. I neglected to tell you it was a laptop computer that
was plugged into the net but not as its usual IP no. ... essentially,
we need to create a separate /etc/hosts for each different place it
gets plugged in.

Perhaps though there is a better way ...

When I tried:

   talk user at localhost

hoping to get it to loopback i.e. use 127.0.0.1 ... that didn't work,
but then that line of /etc/hosts reads:

127.0.0.1       localhost       loghost

... should that line also list the value of 'hostname'? ... I'm
worried that might disable other things or maybe not even work.

Anyway, having a separate /etc/hosts for each plug-in location
certainly works ... so thanks!!

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>