[plug] Printing problem RH6

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Mon Jul 19 16:56:40 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Mark Saxon wrote:
>
> > Well basically out of ignorance, since there seemed to be no out put
> > from the lpr command
> > and nothing turning up in the print cue nor any other error messages of
>
> Hmmm. I've had similar trouble, ie error messages lost. You will need
> to manually run some steps that lpd does, and hopefully will see some
> error msgs. Look for 'if=...' in /etc/printcap. Run that program '...'
> manually. e.g.
>
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter < my_postscript_file > out_file

okay this out puts say the file text to out_file no error messages in
with it.

> If it worked, out_file would contain PCL or whatever printer code.
> But with luck you might see an error message.
>
> If the filter works, try manually sending it, e.g.
>
> cat out_file > /dev/lp0
yep sends it to the printer as does
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter < my_postscript_file > /dev/lp0
but only when su root so I guess that means lpd is working okay
I did F key to a console and ran lpr from there and hocus pockus
diplodocus I got
why not from X ?

lpr File

/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters: permission
denied
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: tr: command not found
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: File: command not found
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters//rewind stdin:
Permission denied

/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: tr: command not found
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: File: command not found
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters//rewind stdin:
Permission denied

/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: tr: command not found
/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: Prinf: command not found

Thanks for your help so far Mike at least I can print some stuff root
now with out having to
boot a very sloooow vm.

Mark