[plug] Quakeathon

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Mon Jul 19 23:51:36 WST 1999

> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
> > Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> >
> > > I'll also try VERY hard to get a 10/100 16 port switch to act as our back
> bone
> >
> > Yay! Actual network performance! (-:
> >
> > > Do we want to run dhcp or should we agree on the network details before h
> and
> >
> > Yes. Let DHCP loose in *.2-*.127 and allocate *.128-*.253 manually?
>
> Shall we say
>
> Network= 192.168.0.0
> Netmask= 255.255.255.0
> DNS    = 192.168.0.1
> Gateway= 192.168.0.254 # if we actually have one.
> domain = plug ???
>
> Then we can say 10->127 as static IP's for those that want them
> and 128->253 as Dhcp.
>
> With the static addresses we could even allocate them before the meet.
> thatway the "DNS" admin can setup zone files etc etc for services like
> Quake, Quake2, Quake3, Halflife, ftp, irc, debian, redhat etc etc.
>
> what sayith ya'll .. if we get organised early then we can probably spend ver
> little time actually setting up.
>
> PS: as I'm "named" I'll do the DNS stuff if noone else minds ??

You might as well do the DHCP as well. I set one up recently, it wasn't
specially difficult. I you want a working config, say so.

I also have a script that makes a floppy that boots and mounts everything
by nfs: it requires some directores to be set up on the server. I export
and mount /usr ro: /bin could be too. Each machine requires its own /etc
and /var.

The kernel must have the NIC driver compiled in: I couldn't get modules to
work, and the docs I read says the support MUST be compiled in.

I also have  a .config that works for 2.2.10 and NE2000.

The boot floppy's useful for those who want to boot Linux on a box that
doesn't have it installed: I can run RHL and Win95 on a machine with 400
Mb HDD.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield