[plug] *athon

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Thu Jul 29 19:00:51 WST 1999

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 09:37:10AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> bk wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't make a difference. Also, VMware doesn't care about two CPUs (it
> > detects APIC but that's about it).
>
> My point is, wouldn't VMWare run in Single-mode, on a single CPU, and the
> other CPU is free to do normal Linuxy things? As far as I see, the big
> advantage of SMP is multi-tasking, with threaded apps a secondary bonus. Most
> apps, performance isn't much better, if at all, but run several apps, and you
> see a big boost in performance!

Nope since the vmware process (that goes for every process) bounces from
CPU to CPU (unless you get the PSET? patch). I had 4 vmware processes
running all at once, with different OSes. Guess which one ate 100% cpu?
windows of course, heh. The only benefit would be running two bloated OSes
for the price of one.

k-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).