[plug] Caller Id/Caller Line Id (CID/CLI)

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Jul 23 13:00:41 WST 1999

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Garth Atkinson wrote:

> Is anyone aware of any modems smart enough to detect/display
> CLI/CID info in Australia?

Most of them, I think. Certainly my US-model USR detects it here.
I believe the Rockwell-based modems (ie most?) work too.
Its easy to test. Just talk directly to your modem, turn on CID
( AT#CID=1 ??? check your manual), and call in.

In Linux, vgetty supports caller ID.

> Most modern modems seem to be configured for the American
> telco standard but not Aus

What gave you that impression?

> I have tried various supplier's email support channels but
> they don't respond. Sadly.

I found USR helpful when I had a problem. They even mailed me a new rom
chip.

BTW, do telstra still charge for monopo^Wfixed line CID? They have stopped
charging on their mobiles.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	"Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
	 Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates."